Most parents and especially homeschoolers are always on the Lookout for easy science fair projects to do with children. Here is one of our very easy science fair projects to do with children. In this project you will learn how ships float.
Simple boats such as rafts, float because they’re made of a material which is lighter than water. Commonly used materials such as light wood or reeds, which are less dense than water.
Heavy boats work differently and they float in the result of the upthrust of water, which is due to his weight pressing down on the water. To upthrust their thrust force. Putting something on the water and giving it a go, you will see that it pushes the liquid aside. The farther he goes, the more water it pushes up. Now when the upthrust becomes the same as the weight of the object, the object will float. This principle is used for boats.
Now here is a very simple experiment to test upthrust
What you will need for your project:
- 2 polystyrene blocks, one double the size of the other
- A tank or bowl of water
- Wooden block
This method is simple science project to do with children:
- Place the two polystyrene blocks in the water
- Notice that they float because they are made of very lightweight material
- So, for them to swim only need a small amount of upthrust is
- Now you can try to push them under water
- You should be able to feel the upthrust pushing back
- Place the wooden block In and you’ll notice that it floats deep in the water because it is heavier and denser than the polystyrene blocks
- Now drop the marble, you will notice that it sinks immediately as the upthrust is not enough to keep him floating
When doing a project like this, remember to take notes about all of their steps and to take photos for your display. It is also important to use the correct scientific method to ensure that you make a good project.
- In this project, what would you say is your hypothesis?
- What part of this experiment is your control?
- How would you describe your method?
These are some of the things you should know if you want to make a winning science fair project. Even easy science fair projects to do with children, must adhere to this because they learn from the beginning to do it right.
The following simple science project to do with children..
Use upthrust with a hollow body
What you need for this experiment:
- Kitchen foil about 20cm x 15cm
- Kitchen paper towels
- The same water tank
How to make this simple science project:
- First, place a flat piece of kitchen foil in the tank
- Give him a little push and noticed that it sinks with the slightest push because it does not replace a lot of water, so the upthrust in minimal
- Remove the foil from the water and carefully dry it with kitchen paper without tearing it
- Now we must carefully, without tearing the foil, model it into a simple boat shape with your fingers
- Place your boat in the water
- What’s going on?
- Why is this happening?
- Now start filling your boat with marbles, as your cargo
- What is happening now?
- Why is this happening?
- How many balls can be placed in the boat before it sinks?
- Why in the end he was drowning?
In answering these questions, think about the experiment. Now you have demonstrated how the bot works. Even if it is made of metal, it is filled with a lot of air and this creates enough upthrust to make it float. If the boat is overloaded though, it will eventually drown.